News+and+politics religion philosophy the cynic librarian: Another Neocon Chaos Theorist...

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Another Neocon Chaos Theorist...

I've written pretty sparely on this theory, which I first picked up from Karen Kwiatkowski, but it keeps cropping up more and more in my surfings. Mark Levine provides more detailed analysis and exploration of the idea. ...

Tom Dispatch reprints Levine's piece:

Lebanon is but the most intense site at present for such chaos and destruction, which has been spreading and deepening across what the neoconservatives (many of whom were receptive to the idea of loosing a "generative" chaos in the region) once liked to call the "arc of instability." Little did they know, when they gave the oil heartlands of our planet that name, what was actually in store for us all.
PS Right now, I 'm reading stuff on Machiavelli and there's much in his Discorsi that coincides with what's being called "creative destruction" by the neocons, "arc of instability" by Levine. I would note that Leo Strauss, alleged mentor of the neocon elite, wrote a book on Machiavelli.

If I have time I'll type out some of the relevant Machiavelli passages.

No comments: