News+and+politics religion philosophy the cynic librarian: But It's Just a Movie

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

But It's Just a Movie

With Cheney running on low batteries for his heart machine and wanting to take as many with him when he goes as possible, I am just imagining nightmare scenarios here.

I have a basic question about the ability of subversive elements within the government to undermine and in some way bypass law and the constitution.

Is it possible that the Cheneyites/neocons have burrowed so deeply and stealthily into the government infrastructure that they could carry out plans to bring on a war with Iran even without executive knowledge?

I am imagining something along the lines of Syriana where you have these very powerful groups with huge amounts of money outside the govt but who have tentacles deep inside the military/intelligence community.

I've sometimes thought how lucky America has been that it's never had military style coup. I grew up during the days when such a coup seemed a live possibility. I was 8 years old when the film came out, but Seven Days in May made an impression so great that I still remember it.

I know, it's just a movie.

No comments: