News+and+politics religion philosophy the cynic librarian: True Confession: My Gadget Fetish

Friday, December 09, 2005

True Confession: My Gadget Fetish

This used to be titled "Kewel, sci-fi, space-ship THING will kill everyone we hate" but I changed it because I imagine the irony of the title might lead others to think more poorly of me than I admit even here. Be that as it may:

Okay, I admit it: I am glad that "we" have this kind of stuff and "they" don't. I also confess that I'm fascinated by the technology of this thingamajig. This thing looks cool! (I know where those UFO stories come from now). (Read about it.)

I know this goes against the grain of all I espouse and believe in principle. And I shall, no doubt, be judged later for my "double-mindedness..." and I am not talking about by you, the reader, or anyone else in this spatio-temporal allotment I call my life.

Okay, so in my defense, I also ask a simple question, one I am willing to go to the mat for: "Can't we take all this Yankee ingenuity and use it for like--the inordinate dependence on oil, poverty, or something else besides getting off on how to kill people?"

I know... and I agree... we must defend ourselves. But I wonder whether this cool, sci-fi looking stuff isn't some engineering whiz's wet dream financed by taxpayers.

I also dread the notion that if we have the weapons then we will want to use them... you know, "build it and they will come."

No comments: